Re: [OM] Re: [OT]was Parisian arrogance, high-speed films.....

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT]was Parisian arrogance, high-speed films.....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:22:15 -0800
My comments only apply to Mexico City and, based on reports of others, Guadalahara. Otherwise, Mexico is a wonderful country to visit with friendly people, great food, and a vast range of fascinating places to visit, both man-made and natural.

The only Central American country I've visited is Costa Rica, which I think of as like a DisneyLand for adults who like the outoors and nature. The big shock for me there was the bland, repetitive, boring local food. About the only interesting food I found there was in a Mexican and a Peruvian restaurant in San Jose and in restaurants run by US expats. The food in Mexico is much more varied and interesting. Mexico is a far larger and more physically, climatically and culturally varied country than Central America. Go to Oxaca, Mexico City, one of the big Americanized resort towns and one of the big border cities and you might think you've been in 4 different countires. Dress, food, the physical appearance of locals, even the rythms of speech vary by region.

Moose.

Roger Wesson wrote:

Well, it may not have charm and livability but Mexico City sounds like a pretty exciting place and I want to go and see what it's like! The impression I get of Mexico is of slight craziness and unpredictability, and that makes it sound interesting. 'Amores Perros' and 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' are two films which have added to that impression, and I imagine it's not too different to the Central American nations where I have travelled, which certainly were unpredictable and exciting.