[OM] Flash sync & slavery (barely OM)

Subject: [OM] Flash sync & slavery (barely OM)
From: "Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:00:16 -0600
All,

Interesting thing here -- help please!

Lacking the $$$ for an E10/20 OR a polaroid back for my OMs, I've managed to
get the benefits of digital proofing for a studio lighting setup in the past
by setting up the studio lights, then shooting the subject with a cheap
little HP 315 digital with a slave & sync cord to the monolights in front of
the HP's onboard flash and a ND filter in front of it's lens.  Ungainly, but
it worked!

Now I've gone & "upgraded" to a Canon SureShot A20, mainly for the optical
zoom that the HP lacks.  Same setup re slave as the HP, but now the flash is
NOT sync'd.  I've tried every setting on the camera (manual/automatic,
auto-flash/manual flash/redeye/etc) to no avail.  I've played with the power
setting on the monolights hoping that that would increase the flash duration
to better catch the shutter opening, but that hasn't helped.  Heck, I've
even fired the cam directly at the monolight's built-in slave sensor with
the same lack of results.

Given that the Canon flash/slave/sync cord/monolight firing is virtually
instantaneous, it seems to me that the shutter opening and the flash firing
should all happen at the same time, giving me my digital previews.

But NO!!! :)  I find it difficult to believe that the shutter on the canon
is so fast as to be affected by any lag in the slave triggering process.
Per the docs, it shoots at a steady ISO100...

Any ideas?

TIA!

Dave