Re: [OM] Flash sync & slavery (barely OM)

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash sync & slavery (barely OM)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:14:48 -0500
At 12:00 2/17/03, you wrote:
All,

Interesting thing here -- help please!

[snipped out monolight/slave description]

Dave,
Dive into the specs on the camera. Optical slaves are not only sensitive to visible light, they are just as sensitive to IR.

1) Does the camera perform an IR or visible light pre-fire to assist with focusing or evaluative metering?

2) Can you turn off AF and evaluative metering entirely and try shooting it in "manual" mode, both AF and AE (this *might* turn off a pre-fire)?

I strongly suspect some form of pre-fire that is either so low powered or close to the flash going off you cannot detect it, or tha it's non-visible IR, and this is pre-firing your monolights. If I had to bet on it, I'd bet on an extremely low powered visible light pre-flash for the AE (E-TTL ??) system.

-- John