Re: [OM] camera life

Subject: Re: [OM] camera life
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:02:50 -0800
on 2/11/03 1:25 PM, AG Schnozz at agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> One question I have about shutter life.
>
> It used to be that the manufacturer would suggest that the
> shutters would last at least 50,000 or 150,000 cycles.
>
> Now, I wonder if they actually mean MTBF 50,000 cycles.  This
> would mean that they expect a shutter to fail in every 1/50,000
> cameras every "click cycle".
>
> In the case of digital cameras, I would believe that they've
> followed the pattern of every other ISO 900x manufacturer and
> gone to a MTBF type of number.
>
> Example:  computer hardrives are typically rated at 500,000 hour
> MTBF.  That DOESN'T mean that you can expect your hardrive to
> last for 57 years, but that one out of every 500,000 hardrives
> will fail every hour.
>
> AG-shooting old tried and true stuff-Schnozz

I think it probably means that if the entire population of cameras is cycled
100,000 times each, there will be some given percentage with failures. Since
they want to insure that the acceptable lifetime before failure for the
great majority of the entire population is 100,000 cycles, there will be
some significant number that will last longer, along with a few that will
fail earlier. There is a distribution for the population, and its probably a
normal curve with the 100,000 point 2-3 standard deviations to the left of
the peak... so 90%+ will last 100,000 cycles in 'standard' use. At least
that's how I'd design the product.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...