Re: [OM] camera life

Subject: Re: [OM] camera life
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:01:09 -0800

Found around the web:

Nikon F 5 has a lot to offer. The world's first self-diagnostic double-bladed shutter that is tested to 150 000 cycles is featuring Nikon's exclusive Shutter Monitor Nikon's exclusive mirror balancer and floating-type design is for motors and gears.
----------------
http://pub103.ezboard.com/ fthedigitaldinguscommunityfrm4.showMessage?topicID=235.topic

F90x cameras have been known to die well before the rated 50,000 shutter cycles
-------------------
http://www.canon.com.hk/english/products/camera/slr_camera/eos_1v/ product_feature.htm

Designed to provide accurate, consistent and trouble free operation even after prolonged usage, the electronically controlled rotary magnet shutter has been tested in severe shooting conditions. In tests, Canon recorded more than 150,000 shutter cycles with the EOS-1V's shutter still performing accurately at its maximum speed of 1/8,000 second and maximum flash sync speed of 1/250 second.
-------------
Many of the older camera such as those produced by Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Leica or Contax have always been synonymous with durability and reliability which we often think we missed those elements in today's modern cameras; So we used some of their camera models as a reference (doesn't mean cameras of other makes are not that durable). In this case, I would select Nikon and use their much published official "media" reference for comparison. In most of these claims, Nikon said 150,000 cycles can be achieved for all their F-series professional models (F, F2, F3, F4 and F5). While conceded a level down to serious amateurs SLR cameras (such the FM series; FE series should also provide a comfortable figure of 50,000 or so in terms of exposure cycles.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/help/howlong.html

I just happened to read the E-10 FAQ PDF file out of curiousity, and found that it said the shutter was built to "withstand" 20,000 shutter cycles, which means it can go beyond this life.

In order to even validate this "problem" or I should say, vaporized possibility, is that we will need to wait another year, maybe longer, until E-10 and E-20 cameras rack up their 20K cycles.

 But, I'm not worried. Hey, I don't even have an E-10 anymore.

All quotes above. I guess it is variable. It does confirm my suspicion that for all their costliness digital cameras are manufactured to a much lower standard. Cheapness also explains the color aberrations. Everyone says no one is making money on digital cameras, but you wonder whether everyone would be engaged in a unprofitable product.

The other side is that your take your $1000 film camera. Take out the costly machined gears, film motors, mirror mechanism, costly prism, and long life focal plane shutter, lens mount and so on to replace them with a smaller cheaper body with lousy ergonomics, a couple of small LCDs, a chip, button switches, cheap lens, a cheap combined aperture/shutter and sell it for the same price. Hmmm.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA