Re: [OM] 17mm

Subject: Re: [OM] 17mm
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:28:17 -0500
Last week, I posted a most eloquent treatise regarding the several
Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses I own, including the 17/3.5.  Apparently,
a number of you were absent that day, and since there have been
some queries regarding some of these lenses about which I opined,
I now repeat, in relevant part, for the benefit of the absent or
absent-minded, my previously-posted, profoundly elucidating
expressions of sage opinion:

"17/3.5.  This is the newer version, the one without the built-in
filters.  Surprisingly good corner-to-corner.  Minimal distortion
and pretty good sharpness and color.  A real bargain, except it
takes 82mm filters, and only in the hood.  (No, that doesn't mean
you can't use it if you've away from your home territory.  It
means the filters fit in the clamp-on lens hood.  The lens itself
has no filter threads.)

"28-105/2.8.  Great lens, but big and fairly heavy.  It was
designed as an autofocus lens, so the focusing ring moves with
very little resistance, giving not much feedback, and rotates
through only about a 60 degree arc, making for quite quick
focusing.  Some folks don't like that.  It takes some getting used
to, but it's not a major problem for me.  Also takes 82mm filters.

"90/2.8 1:1 macro.  This is the present version.  It, as the name
implies, goes to 1:1 without any extras.  Maybe not the equal of
the 90/2 Zuiko, but I doubt you could tell the difference in the
results.  If you want to use any of the Olympus ring flashes or
the T-28 shoe ring, you?ll have to fashion an adapter.  A pair of
55mm filter rings will do the trick.  I just got a couple of junk
filters from the bargain bin and removed the glass, then screwed
them together.

"80-200/2.8.  If I didn't have this lens, I would be beating the
bushes to get one.  It is simply outstanding.  Big and heavy, yes,
but its performance makes it worth every inch and ounce.  Mine had
a bit of dust and a slight amount of zoom creep when I got it, but
the glass was perfect.  A $100 trip to KEH, and now no dust and no
creep.  The tripod mount is a bit strange, but it does the job.
Takes 77mm filters.

"300/2.8.  This lens is absolutely fantastic.  I don't believe
I've ever bought a piece of photographic equipment I was happier
with.  I don't think I can say more without choking up.  :-)
Takes 112mm filters up front, but 43mm filters in the rear.  I've
even adapted a couple of B+W filters to fit the rear filter slot."

Walt