[OM] Re: 90mm F2 Macro?

Subject: [OM] Re: 90mm F2 Macro?
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:33:18 -0500
If you haven't picked up one, you'll have to see for yourself.  I loand my 90/2
to a long-time list member and the first thing that he said was how weird the
lens was and un-Zuiko-like it was.  This without any prodding or pre-exposure
comments from me.

The 90/2 macro is a different lens than all the earlier Zuiko's, IMO.  It's got
a real big focusing barrel like the 50/2 and 100/2.  The aperture ring is at
the back of the lens, unlke most others, and all the ones that I've handled
have a "clacking" sound to the aperture movement click-stops, unlike most of
the other lenses (but not all).  The only hood is the huge rubber clamp-on that
also fits the 135/4.5, which is unlike all the others.

And the lens just feels different in it's focusing and handling.  It's not the
svelte Zuikos like most of the other lenses in the line.  All this said, it has
a three-dimensional quality to the images that is very difficult to convey in
web images or words.  (This is much the same mushy description that you hear
from Zeiss and Leica pundits, so take it as you will.)

I wonder if the later, super lenses like the 90/2, 50/2, 100/2, and 35-80/2.8
were designed by a different generation of optical engineers.  They're all
different in philosophy than most other Zuikos.  I also wonder if those lenses
were build using different manufacturing techniques?

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost