Re: [OM] 90mm F2 Macro?

Subject: Re: [OM] 90mm F2 Macro?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:31:02 -0600
At 02:05 PM 2/10/2003 +0800, you wrote:
"Richard F. Man" wrote:

> At 08:42 PM 2/9/2003 -0800, R. Jackson wrote:
> >Anyone own one of these and want to comment on it? I'm just kind of
> >curious as to what the consensus is on this lens.
>
> It's overpriced comparing to the Tamron 90/2.5 and Tokina 90/2.5, but if
> you have it, you will probably never want to let it go.

Can't agree it is overpriced, you should know the same lens from
original manufacturer is usually double the one from third party, it
is true since 1980 to now. And a lens of larger aperture (0.5 to one
stop) will double the price again (or even more). See the price of
28/2 and 28/2.8 and 24/2 and 24/2.8, 100/2 and 100/2.8, they are more
than double! That means it should be at least four time the price of a
Tamron or Tokina, roughly say $700 is a fair price. BTW, who have a
90/2 macro on earth?

C.H.Ling

The 90/2 goes to 1:2, so it is a fairly conservative macro lens. I have a Vivitar 100/2.8 that goes 1:1. It is possibly more versatile as a macro, but it is softer wide open and very long and unwieldy when fully extended. Which is fine for macro, but the 90/2 gets used for lots of other things too, even portraiture and general photography.

It has both good sharpness and contrast, but it is neither the sharpest nor contrastiest Zuiko. Some function of these two qualities, combined with the focal length, makes photos with shallow DOF usually look very attractive, as the sharp area sits against the sometimes rather creamy blur of the background (usually the background, but sometimes the foreground -- see my TOPE entry under the category of "Bokeh"). This conjunction of focal length, blur, and sharpness is what people refer to as the "bokeh" of the 90/2.

Recanting my slur of the blur,
Joel W.