[OM] Trip computers, was ... (going green, sort of)

Subject: [OM] Trip computers, was ... (going green, sort of)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:28:35 +0000
The instant readout is useful at times to see what effect, for
instance, an incline or a head/tail wind are having on your fuel
consumption.  But for journey-to-journey reference the average
consumption is most useful.  Good trip computers offer a choice of
readout - my Saab 9000 had both instant like an OM4 LCD with the
average digitally displayed next to it.  My current car gives a
choice of various readouts, but I keep it on average and zero it at
every fill-up.

In addition, I compare mine with every fill-up and if the difference
is more than about 2% against my trip computer (checked with 3 or 4
visits to the same pump) I normally avoid that petrol station.  In
the UK suppliers are allowed up to 7 0iscrepancy between measured
supply and actual volume; some suppliers seem to set their pumps to
close to that discrepancy as a matter of course (others don't).  I
rarely have a problem with petrol stations on the Continent; they all
seem to agree with my trip computer, within 2%...

Chris