Re: [OM] Re: Name vs. performance

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Name vs. performance
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:59:14 -0500
No, Jan.  I've not used the 90/2.  If you're asking me if I'd buy one if I
was able to, financially, sure.  I *believe* everyone when they say the 90/2
is very, very special.  (Not the 40/2 though.)  I haven't heard the phrase
"cognitive dissonance" very many times since psych class but, yeah, that's
exactly right!

But the subject line is "Name vs. performance" and if that's the topic, then
I think I have some valid points about value.  That's all.

I had a 28/3.5 & a 28/2 and sold both in favor of a Tamron.  I had a very
pretty 200/4 and sold it in favor of a user Kiron 80-200 / f4.  My situation
this century is that I have some money issues.  I know about taking the
location of the aperture ring and focus ring for granted.  If I did
motocross photos, I'd be solidly in the Zuikos-or-bust group because to
follow focus would be critical.  No argument.  I'm not knocking anyone.  If
I was generating income from photography, I'd have Zuikos (and backups!) if
only for reliability.  I took great pleasure in finding the correct cases
and hoods for the second hand Zuikos I found.  (And instruction manuals, &
sales pamphlets, & even a box for my OM-4!)  I get it.  I love it too.  As
JT observed, "That's why I'm here."

Lama

> Jan Steinman said,
> You're entitled to your opinion, but have you ever actually held one? Or
used one?

> The optics MAY be no better than some other lens, but the fit and finish
is superb.

> Besides the "collection" aspect, there is the very real aspect of
similarity that you only see in a true system design. The Zuiks all have the
aperture ring in the same place. The knurls on the aperture ring are all the
same. The knurls on the focusing ring are all the same. The ribs on the zoom
rings are all the same. Once you navigate one Zuik by touch, you know them
all.

> When I put a non-Zuik on, I go through a period of cognitive dissonance
while I re-"get used to" the different lens. This may not be an issue if you
only have one lens, or if all your lenses are from different makers anyway,
but there are advantages beyond "snob appeal" to use system lenses.