[OM] Re: Name vs. performance

Subject: [OM] Re: Name vs. performance
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 06:52:47 -0800
>From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
>
>In my opinion, when someone buys the Zuiko 90...
>[they are] "getting into logo's or collection".

You're entitled to your opinion, but have you ever actually held one? Or used
one?

The optics MAY be no better than some other lens, but the fit and finish is
superb.

Besides the "collection" aspect, there is the very real aspect of similarity
that you only see in a true system design. The Zuiks all have the aperture ring
in the same place. The knurls on the aperture ring are all the same. The knurls
on the focusing ring are all the same. The ribs on the zoom rings are all the
same. Once you navigate one Zuik by touch, you know them all.

When I put a non-Zuik on, I go through a period of cognitive dissonance while I
re-"get used to" the different lens. This may not be an issue if you only have
one lens, or if all your lenses are from different makers anyway, but there are
advantages beyond "snob appeal" to use system lenses.
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>