Re: [OM] ( OM ) Possible TOPE topic

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Possible TOPE topic
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:48:04 -0400

> A good topic could be "Living among the cold" or "Coping with daily
> (extreme) cold" or some such.
>
> Of course "cold" is relative, and cold in Hong Kong would be different to
cold
> in Edmonton or New Brunswick.
>
> Here we seldom get things below 10 degrees C (and certainly not since the
> mid 1980s) so I find it difficult to comprehend how people cope with such
> cold in their daily life, and what they do as a matter of course to make
sure
> they continue to survive. How do poor people cope in these conditions?.
I've
> heard of it being necessary to plug cars into sump heaters so that they
will
> start again. What else is needed? What do you do when you travel? How do
> you ensure you survive if there's some mishap on the way? Do you avoid
> travel in extreme cold?
>
> Brian

In Moncton, NB, which is about 2 1/2 hours from here, many (about 30,000)
are going into their third night without electricity tonight. I don't think
we've heard from John Hudson lately, so he might be one of them.
We are back into freezing rain again tonight, making it very difficult for
the power line workers to cut the icy tree limbs off the lines. By morning
there will likely be thousands more out of power. Many who have lost heat
and water have moved out of their homes into shelters.
My coping strategy tonight- put some more wood in the woodstove in the
basement, draw off some extra water, and load up the camera for some
possible nice ice pictures in the morning. Meanwhile, check out ebay before
the power goes off.

The newer fuel injected cars start quite well in the cold, so you don't need
to plug them in until it goes below -30. I've only plugged mine in a few
times this winter. I carry a few blankets in the car in winter, but beyond
that I don't do much. Some carry a big candle to give a little heat if they
should get stranded in their car. A cell phone is nice. Keep the fuel tank
near full, and hope to retire someday in Florida.

Wayne