Re: [OM] ( OM ) Possible TOPE topic

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Possible TOPE topic
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:45:55 +0000
Interesting idea! In the UK it's said that we don't have a climate, we have weather, but although we famously talk about the weather all the time, and the weather forecasters are nationally famous, we really lack extremes. Winter temperatures rarely drop below freezing, and summer days over 30C/90F don't happen every year. Having said that, last week when we had two inches of snow the south east of England literally ground to a halt and national panic ensued. Roads and airports were closed, and even the London Underground suffered massive disruption.

Despite this recent 'extreme', if this was a TOPE event I think the window would need to be about two years to give those of us in the UK a fair chance of capturing an extreme! I too wonder how people cope in more brutal climates - I visited Sweden over New Year and saw that everything functioned extremely efficiently even when blanketed in snow in -15C temperatures, but I imagine it must be pretty tiresome coping with such temperatures for 4-5 months every year.

Cheers,
Roger