Re: [OM] Altitude problem examples

Subject: Re: [OM] Altitude problem examples
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:55:34 +0000
Wayne,

I thought I would post a link to some photos I took at 12,500m asl in Guatemala, roughly as far north of the equator as Bolivia is south. They're from the summit of a 3,772m mountain I climbed (approx 12,500 feet), and were taken no later than about two hours after sunrise:

http://www.centralamerica.f9.co.uk/photos/059.jpg - shows plenty of haze but no objectionable blue cast, at least in my opinion http://www.centralamerica.f9.co.uk/photos/060.jpg - again colours seem OK to me, similar to how I recall them. http://www.centralamerica.f9.co.uk/morephotos/photos/sm07.jpg - this one does seem a bit over-blue http://www.centralamerica.f9.co.uk/morephotos/photos/sm09.jpg - this one seems to have similar earth colours to the links you posted on photo.net. However, it doesn't look unnatural to me and seems similar to what I remember of the pretty harsh environment up there. http://www.centralamerica.f9.co.uk/morephotos/photos/sm11.jpg - very blue, but I was looking through a lot of haze at these distant mountains. And, I was using a cheapo soligor 135/2.8.

I very much agree with Brian's recommendation of shooting early or late and avoiding the harsh midday light. I am not sure I particularly object to the blue cast evident in some of the photos above, but if I did I think a warm-up filter, or alternatively some digital trickery, would sort it out nicely.

The photo.net links you posted were nice photos, in my opinion. You criticised the colours for looking flat, but I didn't see that as a problem. The photos made me very keen to get out to South America and up into the Altiplano.

Cheers,
Roger