Re: [OM] Adams Printing

Subject: Re: [OM] Adams Printing
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 12:44:20 -0800
At 12:14 PM 2/2/2003 -0800, Winsor wrote:
If you have access to a copy of the LA Times Sunday Calendar Section 2 today take a look at the center spread. It shows side-by-side reproductions of prints of Ansel Adams' "Mount McKinley and Wonder Lake, Alaska" The originals are in the LACMA exhibit. The exposure was made in 1948. The first print was made by Adams in 1949. The second print was made by him in 1978 . Wow. What a difference. Even in newspaper reproduction. He certainly made progress in 30 years. It also underscores the art in photography.

The "100 Years of Ansel Adams," really highlights the difference of the evolution. The older prints often have less contrasty and less "edgy" looks. Pop Photo reviewed it and it convinces me to beg for it for my birthday last year :-) Whether it is progress or catering to what the buying public wants is the debate. :-)