[OM] Altitude problem examples

Subject: [OM] Altitude problem examples
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 15:27:31 +1300
Hi Wayne & all;

> Here is a photo that is typical of the problem I have experienced in the
> altitudes of Bolivia. The town in the valley is Pocoata, the place where we
> were
> helping to put a roof on their church building in April 2001. The town is at
> about 10 or 11,000 feet, and we took time to climb this hill one afternoon,
> which would be a little higher. You can see from the small shadows that the
> sun
> is about overhead

In my experience, this is a usual photographic result, and I suggest the film
is recording exactly what was there under those conditions.

Next time under those conditions take the time to sit and really look at the
scene and ask yourself if what you are seeing bears a resemblance to what
is recorded on the film.

It is a common phenomenon here in New Zealand too, and even now as I
write at 1.30pm sidereal time, it's much the same at near sea-level near mid-
summer.

In my opinion, the factors at work are these:
1) Overhead sun which means little light on the more vertical surfaces that
reflect light for the camera to record.
2) No cloud, which means that any shadows are really dark.
3) No cloud which means that the predominant light colour is nearer blue
than white.
4) Did you use a UV filter?
5) These rather arid, sometimes dry, sites with a lot of rock, tend to look
like
that here too. The rock isn't exactly colourful.
6) No atmospheric pollution will have an effect too but I'm not sure what that
would be there in Bolivia.

I suggest

1) Try taking photos earlier or later in the day.
2) Maximise the use of light-cloudy days to get the best white light possible.
3) You could try some more saturated film if you want saturated colours
anyway.
4) Visit there in a wet season when the plants might be greener and the rock
wet !.

Cheers, Brian