[OM] OT: OT posts and list bully

Subject: [OM] OT: OT posts and list bully
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:30:26 -0800
<warning/OT/rant/delete now if not interested>
I have a most distasteful experience in the last few days, makes me *appreciate* how tolerant people here are on OT or semi-OT posts. Generally I don't participate in OT posts and the delete key is only one keystroke away. I have been online since early 80's, and are currently on half a dozen lists. A few days ago, I joined the Cos*na Vo*gtlander list, first to ask if anyone has used the SL 40/2 lens. Since I didn't get any response, I ended up buying it anyway. Then I hung around since I am also interested in a Rangefinder (RF) camera. So I asked a few questions. One interesting side effect is that is turns out that there are quite a few numbers of OM'ers and ex-OM'ers on the list. In fact, most of their recommendation is that the RF and the OM are complimentary rather than exclusionary despite (and may be in fact, because of) the similarity of size and simplicity of controls. I personally didn't even contribute to the follow on non-ON Topic posts, but I got one person telling me if I don't know why I want a RF, than I don't need one, and then another private post telling me to "take the sh*t off." Wow! If I am about to spend $1000-$3000 on a new system, I would think it is prudent to ask. I guess they think I am not serious and trolling there, but it is just too much list bullyism for my taste. So I unsubscribed. Still feel a bad taste in my mouth.

Well, thanks for listening :-)