Re: [OM] wide lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide lens
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:40:08 -0800
wayne says:

> always used a 28-80 zoom  almost exclusively on these trips. But I'm
> > thinking this time of taking a Vivitar 28/2, Zuiko 50/1.8, Zuiko 100/2.8,
> > and I'd like to add a very wide, probably a 3rd party, as the mountain
> views.....

One suggestion:

> I use a 17mm Tamron that can be had for the $150 to $200 range, however it
> doesn't take a 49mm filter......
>
>  ...however I see it as a heck of a lot of
> pop for the buck.  I do have the Zuiko 18mm which I probably wouldn't take
> mountain climbing with me in Bolivia.

Wayne,

I would modify that list by skipping the 100/2.8 for something a bit
longer. I've found the 135/3.5 to be an ideal travel lens for it's small
size and it gives enough reach to be able to take unobtrusive candid
shots e.g. in a market. It brings the background mountains up in a
dramatic way and performs reasonably well with a 2x or screw on close up
filters if need be. Plus it's cheap and readily available. (shameless
plug: I have an extra). The 50 is a good choice. As for a wide I always
took my 28/3.5 as an ideal walk around "normal" lens but then I left the
50 home to save weight. But I always envied a friends 24. So if you're
taking a 50 maybe consider the 24/2.8. It's in the same price range as
the super wide other brand lenses and miniscule by comparision. I think
it would get way more use too. But that's just my opinion :>) All take
49mm filters.

mike
(who did take it mountain climbing all over the Andes)