[OM] Help- faulty OM2SP?

Subject: [OM] Help- faulty OM2SP?
From: Tyron <tyron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:00:56 +0000
Hello to all,

I am new to this list and hope someone might be able to offer some
advice please?

I have recently aquired an OM2 Spot Program which has an intermittent
power problem. To start I thought it was just weak batteries so I
changed them several times. Now I think it could be a bad connection. I
have cleaned the contacts with electronic cleaning solvent but still no
better. Inside the battery compartment there is just a spring with an
open end. Should there be some kind of terminal plate fixed to this that
contacts the lower battery? Sometimes if I hold the switch in the
battery check position whilst screwing on the cover the beeper works
then cuts-out again. Occasionally I can get the cover fully on with
power still present. I can then take a few shots but then the power
cuts. Other times just one shot then as soon as the shutter and flash
(T20) fire the power is gone. Same with or without flash.

I wonder if there may be a bad connection on the inner side of the
spring? Should I take the bottom plate off and check? Is it safe to do
this with a film still loaded?

Hope these are not too many questions and someone can help!? I am really
pleased with my OM30 (had it for years - not a glitch) but now I'm
wondering if I've bought a lemon with this OM2 - I'm getting really
frustrated!

Anyway, thanks in advance and best wishes to all!

Tyron
London suburbs, UK