Re: [OM] 4x5 (was: Keeping "unused" lens)

Subject: Re: [OM] 4x5 (was: Keeping "unused" lens)
From: Peter Stöcklein <peter.stoecklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:54:07 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 6:53 PM
Subject: [OM] 4x5 (was: Keeping "unused" lens)

> >From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >Easy choice:  Field.  Lens choices would be for one as wide as I
> >can feasably get...
>
> But these two are mutually exclusive. Field cameras generally have deeper
register, making infinity focus with even a moderate wide difficult or
impossible. Whereas a studio monorail with a bag bellows is a snap to focus
ANYTHING on, because the front and rear standards nearly touch.

> I've got a Linhof Super Technika that is a lovely bit of engineering, but
in order to focus a 90mm Super Angulon, I have to slide the front standard
completely off the focusing rail onto the storage rail, then pull the back
out to focus. And that's with a recessed lensboard! And if I forget to drop
the bed, it ends up in the picture. (And completely forget about using a
75mm with a field cam!)

No! You can use most 90mm lenses without a recessed lensboard. But for
larger movements you should use one. I own a 8/90 Super Angulon usable on
flat lens board on a Master Technika and a NIKON SW 4.5/75 on a (12mm,
perhaps 19mm, I cant remember) recessed lens board.
Do this for your 90mm:
- for portrait drop the bed 15 degrees, for landscape without drop
- slide the focus rail back inside the housing, the same as for long lenses,
but in the opposite direction, until it fixes the position (click)
- dont pull the back out
- focus with the focus rail
For the 75mm you have to drop allways.

The disadvantage, you get almost no movement. On a Technikardan with
WW-Belowsyou can use a 65mm, 75, 90 (probablay a 58mm XL too) with full
movements an a flat lens board

Regards Peter