[OM] 4x5 (was: Keeping "unused" lens)

Subject: [OM] 4x5 (was: Keeping "unused" lens)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:53:30 -0800
>From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>Easy choice:  Field.  Lens choices would be for one as wide as I
>can feasably get...

But these two are mutually exclusive. Field cameras generally have deeper
register, making infinity focus with even a moderate wide difficult or
impossible. Whereas a studio monorail with a bag bellows is a snap to focus
ANYTHING on, because the front and rear standards nearly touch.

I've got a Linhof Super Technika that is a lovely bit of engineering, but in
order to focus a 90mm Super Angulon, I have to slide the front standard
completely off the focusing rail onto the storage rail, then pull the back out
to focus. And that's with a recessed lensboard! And if I forget to drop the
bed, it ends up in the picture. (And completely forget about using a 75mm with
a field cam!)

So, if you like it wide, make sure the field cam you're considering works
nicely with the lens you'd want to use. (ANY lens will work with a studio
monorail.)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>