[OM] - Another lens that never made it (and this time it was a *REAL* pi

Subject: [OM] - Another lens that never made it (and this time it was a *REAL* pity!)
From: "Fabio J. Flowerside" <flowerside@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:24:32 +0100
Hi list,

after the "ultra thin" 50mm f/2 (which eventually evolved in the 40mm f/2),
that I have mentioned in my previous message, surfing the web I came into
this other never-ever produced Zuiko lens:

http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/camera_technologies.html

A 85mm f/1.4 GRIN lens, which was prototyped in 1989.

GRIN stands for "GRadient INdex" that is, a special glass whose refraction
index is not constant but varies from center to the edge.

In an old photo magazine (dating back to 1984) it was claimed that by
adopting gradient index glasses is possible to produce a 50mm lens with
exceptional performance adopting just two (two!) lenses. The same
improvements in compactness and performance, of course, should be applied to
any other focal lenght...

It's a pity that wonderful Zuiko never made it...
(now I'd like to know in which drawer that prototype is currently collecting
dust... *DROOL*)

:'(

Ciao

Fabio