[OM] T-28 problem? Help needed

Subject: [OM] T-28 problem? Help needed
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:41:26 -0500
Hi folks -

I just received a T-28 twin flash as part of a lot, most of which I wanted,
including the T-28. I'm having a problem with it. It could be my problem of
the equipment's.

Whether on camera (4T) or off (using Test button) I can't get the left flash
to fire.
 - With the selector on R, the right flash fires
 - With the selector on L or L+R, there is no flash from either

When the right flash fires, the unit takes about 8 seconds to charge back up
again, which is a bit slow but perhaps not abnormal for this unit. When
there is no flash the charge light comes back on immediately.

Also, when there is "no flash" I can see a very, very faint flash, usually
in both flashes but occasionally perhaps in only one. The auto check light
shows no activity.

All functions with the 4T on auto appear to be OK, including over, under,
the auto check flickering and the VF indicator blinking.

I used both fresh Duracells marked "MAR 2009" and alkaline rechargeables for
the tests. Same results.

One other odd thing: Duracells seem to be a tight fit, and I can't get a
Duracell into the rightmost battery slot (enough to close the cover, it does
make contact). My alkaline rechargeables are OK (they are 0.3mm shorter).
Haven't tried any other types yet.

The fact that the right flash doesn't fire on L+R leads me to suspect the
switch/contacts. I unplugged the connector - everything seemed clean and OK,
but there isn't much to see. The very faint flash seems as though it could
be due to electrical leakage at the switch.

BTW, the seller strikes me as honest and the parcel was well packed.

Any ideas? I RTFF'd and got no hits. I have to sort this out fairly quickly.

Many thanks,
Andrew