Re: [OM] Advice for used OM-4

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice for used OM-4
From: "Ian BManners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 01:47:58 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Henrik

>I have recently bought a used OM-4 that in general looks very nice.
>There are however two things about it that I think I should try to fix.
>First, the film door has a small dent on top (on the part that is bent
>backwards towards the camera and not visible when the door is closed),
>just below the viewfinder. This has corroded a bit and damaged a little
>bit of the foam that is put around the film compartment. I would like
>to know if it is possible to replace the foam. If it is possible and
>someone knows if it can be bought somewhere in Sweden, I would be

I dont know if its available in Sweden but John would probably be more
than happy to post it to you from the USA, I'm also sure John will
reply :-)

>really grateful. Also, the film door doesn't look so nice. It is fully
>operational otherwise, it's just the looks, but I think I will replace
>it sometime in the future. Does anyone know if it is possible to find
>spare parts (particularly in Sweden).

Keep you eyes open for broken OM bodys at pawn brokers etc.
I've got some excellent fangs that way.

>There is also an issue with the metering. When setting the largest
>aperture on the lens and twisting the lens a bit back and forth (even
>though the lens is attached to the camera it can be moved very
>slightly), the meter stops working in a certain position (the meter bar
>gets very short). It starts working again if I twist the lens slightly
>again. It only happens for the largest aperture setting, It seems that
>there is a loss of contact or short somewhere. Has anyone experienced
>this?

Likely to be the black button at 9 oclock on the lense attachment
ring on the body. It might need cleaning if it looks a bit gunked up
or if your unlucky it might have been worn by a non Olympus lense
with a screw head that pass's over it when the lense is attached
to the body.

Oh, yes, hello list. I'm back in Melbourne from my travels to Kalgoorlie
and Perth in Western Australia, hope you all had a great Christmas
and NY.

Cheers
Ian B Manners