Re: [OM] Focussing screens and glasses

Subject: Re: [OM] Focussing screens and glasses
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:23:32 -0500
As an eyeglass wearer, I prefer to use

1.  a very, very sharp lens.  Seriously.  I've bought and resold a few
lenses that never snapped at all.  Even when stopped down to f8, they still
weren't great shakes.

2.  Bifocals with a very gradual transition from distance correction to
close-up.  (The fitter wanted badly to sell me the opposite.  He kept
saying, "But we ALWAYS sell them with the biggest area possible for
reading."  I kept saying, "I want a mild correction at 3 feet (one meter)
near the middle of the lens and what you're suggesting won't give me that.")

3.  Focus screen #2-13.  I put this 3rd for a reason- it's not that
important to me other than the smug pride of owning a prism finder SLR with
one of the brightest screens ever made.  Am I the only 35 SLR owner who
likes toys?  :)   I really, really like it but if I hadn't collected sharp
lenses, it wouldn't matter how bright the screen is.
-------------
Lama, who just received $356 for his Zuiko 28/2.  I compared it on a tripod
against the Series1 28/f1.9 and the biggest difference was one was slightly
"wider" than the other, in angle of view.  Each had a area of the frame that
was more sharply rendered than the other.  When I sold the Series1, I think
I got about $110.  Frankly, I didn't think either one was sharp at f/2.  All
I need is an f/2.8 that I can use wide open.  For $30 (plus another $25 for
the mount!) I found an Adaptall-2 Tamron 28mm f/2.8 (multi-coated) with the
correct case, & correct (but cheesy, thin,  plastic) hood.  The thing even
had the freakin' instruction pamphlet with it for $30!

For some weird reason, it makes me feel good, knowing that I dissolved that
revenue and gave up nothing in sharpness, or flare resistance.  It's the
28mm OM mount version of my 15 year-old Volvo wagon- superb quality, cheap,
and cheerful.  Sadly, I'm writing about my camera stuff instead of making
prints.