Re: [OM] Which zoom would you recommend?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which zoom would you recommend?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:54:32 -0400
> >I am interested in getting a Zoom lens and I was wondering which one
> >people would recommend and why.
> >
> >Here are some of my criteria:
> >
> >1. Possibly a tripod mount
> >2. Two touch (I want separate controls from zoom and focus).  As the
> >lens would tend to be used on a tripod, I don't want the zoom setting
> >sliding when the lens isn't level.
> >3. The lens should be pretty sharp (hopefully as close to a prime as
> >possible)
> >4. The zoom should be somewhere in the 80-200 range

If you want one that's very inexpensive, you may want to try the Kiron
80-200/4.5. I got mine in absolutely LN condition for about $50. Mine came
from G. Reese, and with his recommendation that this lens is a sleeper, so a
good buy for the money. In my opinion, he was certainly right on this one,
as I suspect he usually is. It is very sharp, and I very happy with it. It
is much better than a Vivitar 80-200/4 that I've had for years, which I was
never satisfied with. The Kiron doesn't have 2 touch, but does have zoom
lock to prevent the creep your concerned about. It's limitation is the 4.5
aperture, and no tripod mount, but if you can live with that, there's not
much else to not like. It's light enough that it works fine with the camera
tripod mount for me. I'm putting links to 2 pics that were made in difficult
circumstances.
Here is a shot of a swimming duck, using about 950f the original slide,
that was just handheld. I don't think web pics mean a lot, but it may give
you a little idea.
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/waynecul/gallery/ducklilylake.html
Here is another one of some deer, another handheld shot. It is a crop of the
original slide, using no more than 250f the original, so take those
factors into account.
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/waynecul/gallery/whitedeerplus.html
Other than cropping, and slightly rotating the deer pic to level, no
adjustments were made on either picture.
Wayne