Re: [OM] How big is too big?

Subject: Re: [OM] How big is too big?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:24:36 -0700
At 08:54 AM 1/18/2003 -0600, you wrote:
I'm reworking my gallery site and I am trying to decide how big is too big
for image files.  I've tried in the past to keep the files under about 28 kB
for a 650x450 pixel image. But, that is resulting in visible .jpg artifacts
in some images, prompting one of my beta reviewers to rightfully complain.
So, when you are viewing a gallery of images, how long are you willing to
wait for an image to load?  And how big is that in kB for your particular
internet capability?

And, yes, I know about progressive load images.  How do you feel about
those?

Gary:

Well, as the beta reviewer who complained ( <HUGE GRIN> ), all I can tell you is I shoot to keep my pictures on the Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery below 100 KBytes per image, with exceptions being made for certain classes of images (i.e., huge expanses of smoothly-gradated blue sky in the picture) that simply can't visually tolerate too much compression.

Speaking of the Gallery, a massive update's on its way. Been slow (as usual), and at least one submitter sent 42 (!) images for his first go-round -- that guy took me almost four hours to build his portion.

I'm about halfway through the submitters. I may put an interim update on the Gallery first...

Garth