RE: [OM] OT --laid off :(

Subject: RE: [OM] OT --laid off :(
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:37:01 -0000
You're right to a point, regarding the rules covering a layoff.  Which is
exactly why a lot of people are on "contract" work here now.  Basically it
allows the employer to take you on with no rights at all, give you
absolutely zero benefits, and then boot you out the door at a moments
notice.  Sure, you are SUPPOSED to get more money for it, but in these days
it doesn't happen that way (it's a "buyers" market out there at the moment).

When I started my new job a year ago (after being laid-off) they didn't even
TELL us we were on a 12 month contract.  We were all led to believe that we
were full-time staff, with all the benefits and rights that entailed.  Then
we got our contracts of employment which said they expired after 12 months
(which comes around in about 6 weeks).  Now the managers are saying "oh
well, don't worry, so long as you keep coming in to work, we'll keep paying
you".  This is total BS for a highly-qualified engineering position !
Basically, we could turn up one day and be told to turn round and go home !
I can't even get a mortgage under these terms !!

Like I said, it's a buyers market out there at the moment.  Unfortunately,
the employers here know that if we say no there'll be a handful of others
who will take our place in a shot.

I don't know if the system works in a similar way in the US at all, but
either way I offer my sympathies and encouragement to any and all OM'ers who
have lost their jobs.  There seem to be a whole lot of you recently, and I
fear I may be joining the ranks in March.

Good luck everyone,

Jon