Re: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:56:45 EST
Cc: lwunderlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 1/17/2003 8:45:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lwunderlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm also curious about your saying I'd probably use the 70-210 for 900f my
shots.  I was thinking that the 70-210 would make it too difficult to take
pictures of the people directly around me (for which the 35-70mm range might
be most useful?), and might make me take fewer shots overall because it's
bigger and more obtrusive.  Are you thinking most of the interesting stuff
would be further away, things I'd need, say, 150-210mm for?  I can see where
the 210mm would be good for compressing the demonstrators into a photogenic
background, say, the US Capitol, correct?

Well, I was thinking along the lines of how I would shoot an event like that.
Whenever I find myself in a crowded place outdoors I've always found that the
images that please me most are the ones I shoot from a distance, where the
subject isn't aware of my presence. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I
think my crowd shots taken from a distance with a long lens have a more
"intimate" look. Pictures I shoot of crowds from a closer range always seem
to have that "in your face" look. I think you'll find 70mm is wide enough
even for fairly close shots - much wider and you can start getting
undesirable perspective affects.

All IMHO, of course.

Paul Schings