[OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please

Subject: [OM] Photographing political demonstrations: advice please
From: lwunderlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:30:11 -0800
First off, thanks to all for the friendly welcome when I posted my intro last
week.  I appreciate it.

Now I'm ready to go out and play with the camera and lenses a little.  If the
weather (snow possible Friday, very cold -- for DC, anyway -- Saturday)
doesn't make me too faint-hearted, I might head out to the anti-war
demonstration on the National Mall on Saturday.

I'd welcome any general or specific tips about photographing political
demonstrations, stories about your experiences, etc.

For specific tips, here is the gear I have available to me:

--Olympus OM-2n w/shoe 4 and T32 flash
--Winder 2
--Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lens w/skylight filter
--Vivitar 70-210 telephoto zoom lens (f4.x?; having a brain conniption right
now and can't remember) w/skylight filter
--Promaster 28-105 f3.8 lens (w/polarizing filter and UV filter, I think)
--Vivitar 24mm f2.8 lens
--Lowepro Off Trail 2 waist/fanny photo pack, quite large; Kelty daypack,
quite large; hiking fanny pack, smallish
--consumer-grade color print film, Fuji 100/200/400; Kodak 200/400

The only fully-tested (by me) gear is the camera and the 50mm lens.

I'm thinking simplicity and a light load are the way to go here.  I'm pretty
certain about taking the camera and the 28-105 lens.  I see no use for the
flash and I'm leaning away from taking the 50mm lens (because I've used it a
lot already) and the winder.  Everything else I'm up in the air about.

Thanks in advance for tips and stories.

Linda Wunderlich