Re: [OM] advice needed: SPOT meter reading differs from AUTO ongray car

Subject: Re: [OM] advice needed: SPOT meter reading differs from AUTO ongray card??
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:29:53 -0500
*^%$&$&$&

Now you tell me?  The super-duty multi-spot light meter in the OM-4 is
UNRELIABLE with a third of my lenses?

When I need a spot meter the most, I'm using a 24mm lens aimed directly at
the horizon to avoid a distortion.  I guess my procedure now should be to
meter with a 50mm lens and shoot in MANUAL EXPOSURE MODE, or use the
reliable center-weighted meter and BRACKET FOR THE CORRECTION needed for the
lighter-than-grey sky.  In this situation the OM-2 was not only more
reliable but also easier to read.

*^%$&$&$&

Mama, I have to sit down.  I'm gettin' the vapors again.....  I "tells" ya,
that N80 is beginning to grow on me.  Although I'll bet that the same
Physics applies to all spot meters looking through sub-mirrors.  Or does the
Nikon world have superior physical Laws?  I could see how it would fail if
the spot sensor was way off-center but the spot in smack in the middle of
the middle.  What the hell?

Lama
First, it was the slip-on hood for my first Zuiko.  The aluminum tensioning
bolt (with the cross section of a knitting needle) broke the third time I
brush my coat sleeve against it.  Then it was the removable flash shoe.
Then......

From: <clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Olympus told its repairmen,

We were warned that, due to the optical characteristics of unusually wide
angle lenses, the reading in "Spot" mode would vary, and there was no means
to correct for that -- end of discussion.  I was able to pry out of the
trainer that it had to do with the angles at which light exited the rear of
wide angle lenses, reflecting off the sub-mirror, thence into the SbC array.