[OM] were you just baiting us?

Subject: [OM] were you just baiting us?
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:45:25 -0500
> From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> Greatness in photography means something transcendent about the images.
>
> But many would argue that greatness is in the eye of the beholder.

In a Camera Canada College roundtable a few years ago the theme was "What is
a great photograph?" I heard four very knowledgeable people give totally
different takes on the subject (as expected). One speaker's definition left
me incredulous ("One that reveals something about the society in which it
was made."), though I have heard that speaker say other things I thought
perceptive.

While the question might in some sense be meaningful, I suspect it's not
answerable by mere mortals. :-) I was tempted to facetiously rephrase their
question as "What photographs do I find interesting?", but that doesn't
capture the impact that photographs can have on people. Perhaps "What
photographs affect us deeply?" allows for the fact that different people are
deeply affected by different things.

Andrew