[OM] OT: advantages of DSLR

Subject: [OM] OT: advantages of DSLR
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:12:41 -0800

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:02:32 -0800
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Re: OT: advantages of DSLR [ISO as the 3rd variable]

Yes, there are many advantages of DSLRs over film. Some are real, some are
imaginary, and some are tradeoffs. For example, in this case, the rapid
shooting (all free! Woww!) means that one may run through the life a
shutter in much less time than it would have than in a film camera. May be
it doesn't matter in a PRO-based body like the Can*n 1D, but other bodies,
beware. Of course if you are a PRO, then it may not matter since you can
"afford" it. If you are just snap-shooting, then it may not matter since
you wouldn't take that many pictures regardless.

You raise good points, Richard. The D60 and D30, however, have gotten excellent marks for their ruggedness. The used D30 I owned briefly had about 15,000 frames through it when I bought it, and it still worked perfectly. They may not have the magnesium body of the 1D, but they have an all-metal, stout chassis under the polycarbonate body. Many pros are working and selling product with this camera, including David Hume Kennerly. I bought the D60 for working with this pro motorsports group, D&W Images, that use D-SLRs as crucial part their business. I consider it a tool for doing a job. I consider it as part of my "stock in trade" for working with them. When and if it wears out, I'll get it serviced, sell it and get another. The lenses will last me a long, long time.

Cheers,
Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!