RE: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] a purely

Subject: RE: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] a purely hypothetical question... -not- OT!)
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:25:28 -0700
My long lenses are used for wildlife, mountains, rivers, people, and other
things where I can't get closer to the target (to fill the frame) with
shorter lenses. I have two frustrations with long lenses. Any movement of
the lens causes a lack of sharpness in the image. This is much more
pronounced than with shorter lenses. If you must set up in a hurry it can be
difficult to shoot from a stable platform. Frequently there is not
sufficient light to use faster shutter speeds. Atmospheric conditions also
play a major role. Heat waves, wind, dust, smoke, or water vapor all cause
image problems with long lenses. Your eyes can compensate for these effects
much better than the camera/film. When you see super-sharp non-captive
wildlife images that clearly show individual hairs, know that someone went
to great pains to achieve that.