Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] a purely

Subject: Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] a purely hypothetical question... -not- OT!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:07:19 -0800
I think part of it is just an 'eye' thing. I am forever seeing very distant things that look intriguing to me and often wish I had a longer lens with me. On the other hand, I have to work to see wide angle possibilities.

Another thing is perspective. the same thing shot at the same scale can have a very different look from different distances. This shot <http://home.attbi.com/0.000000E+00dreammoose/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-137389.html> doesn't do justice to the original, which doesn't do justice to what I saw, but I love the compressed perspective. I wished so badly that I'd had a full tripod and the 150-500mm along to catch the magic of late afternoon light glinting off those leaves at a different scale. This also happens to be a shot that simply couldn't be made with a shorter lens, as there was nothing but air above the valley between me and the subject. There is another image near there that I'm going to get right one day. A cluster of trees on a much more distant hill in the other direction has the otherworldly look of an ancient temple/circle. Seen from closer up, the same spot is just some houses and scattered trees on a slight rise - nothing magic at all.

Another is reach. The 300/4.5, with its 3.5m minimum focus, needs extension tubes for this, but some other long lenses do better. My Tokina AT-X 150-500/5.6 focuses down to 2.5m at all focal lengths and the Tamron SP 60-300mm/3.8-5.4 focuses to 1.9m before even going into macro mode. One can take closeups of things one can't get close too or where getting close would scare off the subject. A 500mm lens is about 10 times as far away as a 50mm for the same magnification.

Combining perspective and reach, the far corner of my yard taken from the porch with a 500mm lens looks very different from a shot at the same scale from 4-5 ft. away with a 50mm and quite different again with an 18 or 21mm even closer. The relationships of the various elements in the image change dramatically with these distance differences.

And the usual. Although I live in a 'city', we have a Red Tail hawks nest across the street and way up a tree. It takes at least 1000mm to get decent shots of the action up there.

Moose

Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

Uhmm...what are you using such long lenses for, I wonder?
The longest I own is the 300/4.5 - and I think I have taken about 25
frames with thatone. It is nice for those few times I need to reach
far, but I could not justify anything more expensive (as both the
250, 350 and 500 are). I also have the 1.4 teleconverter, but I have
yet to find reason to mount that on the 300mm.

I'm kinda curious as to which types of photography such "long"
(extreme?) focal lengths are being used for by fellow zuikoholics.
Are everyone bird/wildlife/motorsports photographers, or is it just
that big glass is facinating? Or, and most likely, perhaps I am just
missing out of something... :)

Please, enlighten me....