[OM] Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...

Subject: [OM] Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:05:31 -0500
>From: "Les Clark"
>
>The shots you refer to appear to have the visual taste of Kodachrome. Is
>that the film you used?
>
>http://www.dantroy.com/railroads/mojave.html
>
>A really long lens can bring a distant background forward into a scene,
>such as this one: http://www.dantroy.com/railroads/cp.html
>
>These were both taken with the Tamron 300/2.8 on an OM-4.

Sorry - they're Velvia.  We use Velvia 990f the time for trains, even
pushing to ISO100 if we need to. (If Fuji ever releases Velvia 100, we'll
be in heaven).  Before Velvia, we shot K64.  When you look at the two side
by side, there's an enormous difference, which is extremely noticable if
you project the slides.  As Bill Pearce said, K64 can go magenta (and
sometimes green).  We ceased using K64 many, many years ago.  We never used
K25 (too slow) and K200 sucked big time.

Which is another reason for FAST big glass - Velvia 50.  In the bright sun,
we're often at 1/500th sec at f4.5 or so.

For those who are interested in such things, the scans were done on a
SprintScan 4000.

Steve Troy