[OM] Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...

Subject: [OM] Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:03:49 -0500
>From: Thomas Heide Clausen
>
>I'm kinda curious as to which types of photography such "long"
>(extreme?) focal lengths are being used for by fellow zuikoholics.
>Are everyone bird/wildlife/motorsports photographers, or is it just
>that big glass is facinating? Or, and most likely, perhaps I am just
>missing out of something... :)
>
>Please, enlighten me....

One word - compression.  We use the big stuff for railroad photography, and
the shots that always sell are the long-lens shots that compress the scene.
 A shot of a two-mile long coal train crossing the Powder River basin in
Wyoming is much more dramatic when compressed so that it looks like it's
about 500 feet long (the train, not Wyoming).  Here's a good example of
telephoto compression of a fairly long train:
http://www.dantroy.com/railroads/mojave.html

A really long lens can bring a distant background forward into a scene,
such as this one: http://www.dantroy.com/railroads/cp.html

These were both taken with the Tamron 300/2.8 on an OM-4.

Sometimes we need a long lens to get a shot that would otherwise require
serious tresspassing.

Fashion photographers sometimes use 300-500 lenses to throw the background
completely out of focus.  Depth-of-field in 500mm lenses is measured in
angstroms.

Steve Troy