[OM] Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...

Subject: [OM] Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:14:37 -0500
>From: "John Hudson"
>
>I have K25 and K64 slides dating back to the early 1960s. All are as good
>today as they were when processed with no loss of colour or saturation or
>shifting towards magenta or green. The cardboard mounts have also withstood
>the test of time. The slides have been stored in darkness in the original
>clear plastic / yellow lid boxes from Kodak, slotted slide boxes, or achival
>plastic sleeves at 60 F or less. What might account for a shifting towards
>magenta and green? .......... faulty manufacturing, improper storage.
>
>All of my other slides from the same era..... Agfa and Perutz in particular
>...... have shown horrible shifts in colour and have faded dramatically.
>
>jh

John,

Bill and I aren't talking about color shift over time.  We're talking about
how they look day one - right out of processing.  Kodachrome color is NOT
accurate - I don't care what anyone says.  Velvia isn't, either - but it
sure looks great!  And Velvia slides sell well, too.  And scan great.  And
reproduce extremely well in calendars, magazines and books. And you can get
it processed in a few hours at a good lab since it's E-6.

Your slides may still look good, so you have obviously never projected
them.  Kodachrome life in a slide projector is nanoseconds before the color
starts to shift.  Not so with Velvia.  One of the dubious honors of
photographing trains is that we have to do several "slide shows" per year.
We store our Velvia slides in archival plastic sleeves in the dark, too.
Check back with me in 40 years and we'll see how well they held up.

Steve Troy