Re: [OM] Damaged 135/2.8 hood

Subject: Re: [OM] Damaged 135/2.8 hood
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 23:03:46 +1300
Hi Folks,

I bought a rubber hood for a 35-70 f/5.6, and found that it didn't fit (unless
scraping the paint off the front of the lens barrel was OK (which it was not)).
The reason for the lack of fit was that the integral metal ring which carries
the
clamp screw had sustained a hefty whack which dented the metal ring AND
put it out-of-round. These hoods are a surprisingly close fit unclamped.

I found that when I carefully massaged (squeezed) the metal ring to push it
back into round (though stiff, it will stand some bending) using my hands.
After about 15 minutes of this careful work, I have a perfectly fitting lens
hood
even with the ding still there.

The same can probably be done with metal hoods, but it will be more tricky.
If the household rolling-pin doesn't fit, go and buy one that does fit. Saw the
offending handle off. Get a leather-faced or plastic-faced panel-beater's
hammer to minimise the damage during repair. Hammer the hood gently
back into shape, testing as you go. Do it in easy slow steps. You will
probably need an engineer's vice or a carpenter's vice to hold the rolling pin
firmly. Then you have fewer variables to consider.

John said the front of the lens had to be dismantled - but that could be very
difficult. There was a post this week that said that 135/2.8 lenses all had the
front lens element super-glued in and these were impossible to remove ( if I
read that correctly). So repair *in-situ*  just  might be mandatory.

Brian