Re: [OM] Damaged 135/2.8 hood

Subject: Re: [OM] Damaged 135/2.8 hood
From: julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 08:05:15 +0000 (GMT)
I straightened a damaged 65-200 hood using a mole wrench, two *THICK* wads of
tissue paper and a huge amount of care - and thus avoided the need to dismount.
The damage to mine was right at the front, and although the result is *WAY*
less than perfect, it is good enough to allow proper retraction and extension.
The trick is to see the circular section as an infinite number of straight
lines at infinitely small angles to each other - ie start at one side of the
dent and work your way round in *VERY* small increments using *MINIMUM*
pressure. Then check the result and do it again. Repeat until hood functions or
is visually circular, depending on preference. take *GREAT* care not to go too
far, or to introduce a genuine flat into the section (that's what the tissue
paper is for - to prevent the edges of the jaws making a crease in the metal)
If the dent extends back into the hood by any great distance(as mine did) start
at the point furthest from the front and work forwards also (thereby making
this a lengthy process). Hence the mole wrench, as you can make the jaws meet
non - parallel with the pressure at the outer end, unlike a pincer.
Alternatively, could a suitable filter ring straighener be used if something
could be found to stop the threads biting into the hood?

Julian