Re: [OM] [ot] for all the car nuts, petrol heads

Subject: Re: [OM] [ot] for all the car nuts, petrol heads
From: "Ford Prefect" <f.prefect@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:38:55 -0000
> I own a Volkswagen Jetta turbodiesel. Its 1.9 liter engine develops
> somewhat less horsepower than the 2.0 liter gasoline engine. However,
> it generates as much torque as VW's 1.8 liter turbo gasoline engine.
> The results: up to about 40 mph, the turbodiesel easily keeps up with
> the gas engines. At speed, owing to noise levels and gearing, the
> diesel is turning over slower (and more quietly) than either gasoline
> engine. And I get 42-46 mpg on a combination of city and highway
> driving; neither gasoline engine can touch that (I also will note
> that, unlike the Japanese hybrid-engined cars, the turbodiesel can
> actually hit its EPA numbers). All this from what is arguably the
> "worst" diesel in VW's line.
My 3.6 litre jagaur can in terms of pernce per mile in fuel. it returns 22.8
MPG on gas (LPG) which cost half the price of diesel or petrol over here so
it costs the same as a car returning 45.6 MPG. Last time it was tested the
gas anlyser showed zero HC and zero CO.  there are other diferencece in a
jagaur sovergin and a jetta 1.9 TDi.. but I dounbt it beats the sov on much
other than ease of parking.. So why would I want a desel?
> Yes, some elements of pollution are higher in diesels right now.
> However, the VW TDI is still clean enough to sell in California. The
> issues are being worked on. The United States has what is generally
> regarded as the crappiest diesel fuel of all the more-industrialized
> countries; by 2006, low-sulfur diesel is mandated. Some diesels are
> being fitted with catalytic converters to address exhaust issues.

Cant remove the biggest problem with deisels, the particualtes.. whcihe I
mentioned earlier, these are not gas but soot, which will block up the
catastrophic converter..  On little known fact they don't want you to know
abiut these things, they are a total con. the production of a each cat
actually produces more polution than it will save in its entire working life

> Peugeot and Toyota (and perhaps other companies) are working on
> pyrolytic techniques for collecting and periodically burning off the
> soot.
> Then there are the bigger issues of total energy use. Diesel is more
> efficient to refine than gasoline.
LPG is a waste product of the refining prosess of either fuel
 Biodiesel can be produced from
> farm crops like soybeans. In fact, many diesels don't need to run on
> diesel fuel at all -- there are several diesel car and truck owners
> who run straight vegetable oil in their cars! It needs some
> modification for colder climates and some help when starting, but,
> once the engine is running, Crisco is all the car needs.

menwhile gas is being ignored. and as methane is produced by rotting
anything although you may think it smells a bit bad pure methane does not.
Any LPG car will run on it and its fairly renewable (as long as there is
somthing to rot). and it produces 0 enisions.. water and CO2 and thats it
and without any fancy emision control gear. (the very prodution of which is
poluting)

Stewart