[OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:58:21 -0500
> From: Jan Steinman

> That depends on whose numbers you believe. My research indicates
> that an optimal 35mm frame may contain as much as 18Mpx. Medium
> format may contain 40Mpx.

Actually, a 100 lp/mm 24x36 film image has about 200 pixels/mm or 4800x7200
= 35MP. But that'll probably come too. Formate-doping will raise the ante,
though.

> In 1997, I predicted ... Then kiss film goodbye in ~2013.

I approximately agree with all that, except the last. Digital will equal and
probably surpass film, but film is just a different medium, harder for some
things, different look but more fun (though that's probably because I'm a
software developer and spend my entire day with computers). I'll probably
end up half-and-half myself.

> According to a recent survey, ... "technology laggards." ...
> So you "fence sitters" still have about 3 years to grouse and
> whine, or you can start getting some actual experience on a
> state-of-the-art-minus-one camera TODAY, then step up to the
> plate in 3 years.

*Cough!* Don't take offense (really, sincerely), but please check the
attitude.

Unless you make your daily living from photography there's probably no need
to rush. Being "left behind" is not an issue otherwise. Mastery of process
is important, but less so than mastery of seeing, composition, etc. There's
nothing wrong with waiting until digital has the quality and price you want.

(Boy, a few years off this list and I'm making up for it the first day back.
:-) )

Regards,
Andrew