Re: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:00:17 -0800
Dave Dougherty wrote:

For the most part I have stayed on the sidelines of the discussions of the
pros and cons of Digital vs. Film.
Me too. It seems to me that these discussions are a lot like when 'the guys' get together, possibly with a few beers, and talk about cars, electronics, etc. There is a lot more noise in the air based on speculation, theory and what people have (or think they have) read or heard than on actual experience. It can be a fun exercise, but also quite misleading.

I purchased an Olympus C4040, intending to shoot digital
as a supplement to my film efforts.  The immediacy and overall high quality
of the photos made with the C4040 exceeded my expectations.

I bought a Can*n S110 as a size/cost/quality trade-off based on extensive reading research. I did so with some trepidation whether it would be up to making acceptable 4x6 prints, based on all the discussions of how many pixels it would take. Much to my surprise, I discovered that a decent lens and 2.1mp is more than adequate for 8x10 with proper digital printing on a good quality printer.

At 5 MP the E-20 will not produce a photo with the same sharpness as film
when subjected to high magnification or enlargement.  But in the "real"
world of photo prints that I feel that I am part of the photos are wonderful
and more than acceptable.

As someone else posted a while ago, there is something about prints from DCs that people really like. Skin, eye sparkles, reflections in and through water are a few areas where I've noticed that they really excell. Of course, my little P&S has a lot of limitations, but in its areas of competence, it's damn good. Of course it's already 'obsolete', in that newer models exceed its specs, but it still does more than what I bought it for and will likely do so for some time, so I don't worry about price/feature issues. If I'd waited for the perfect computer at the best deal, I still wouldn't have one 20+ years later; same thin with DCs.

 Rather than argue how many pixels can dance on
the head of a pin, I just decided to go ahead and get involved.  The results
speak for themselves and I am better off for having started the journey.

Exactly. It's the results that count, no matter what the tools. And in my opinion, you really can't tell very much about the quality of the results in other forms from web images. I'm really amazed when people comment on the sharpness of lenses and film based on small jpeg images that have been downsampled, sharpened and compressed.

Moose