Re: [OM] OT - Awesome Digital Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Awesome Digital Photography
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:24:31 -0800

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 12:35  PM, Jochen Schiffler wrote:

Hi,

to add some additional ammo to the 'film vs. digital' debate I recommend a
visit to the website of 'Max Lyons'.
For quite some time now I'm planning to buy an EOS 30 film camera and never thought of digital. After I accidently found Max' website while looking for Can*n lens reviews my decision for the EOS 30 lost some of it's power and I
wish I could afford an additional D 60 (or G3 to start with) ;-)

Dunno whether some of you already know his website http://www.tawbaware.com/ or http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/index.html for the galleries but it's
worth a deep dive.

This guy shoots exclusively digital and besides his 'normal' pictures he creates breathtaking panoramic images by stitching and stacking multiple high-resolution shots together (resulting in 6-40! megapixel images). When I saw them for the first time I was (usually I hate to say this) blown away.

You may argue about the changes color and parallax error correction tools do to the original images but for me the results matter and Max' results are
truely awesome. In fact the blended images (one set of images for the
highlights combinded with a set for optimised shadow detail) show more
detail due to a higher dynamic range and IMHO they look more like the human
eye would see the scene.

I was intrigued by his 'Digital Scotland" gallery and this is one of my
favourites (if the link is split in two or more lines, you may have to
copy/paste both parts to the address field of your browser):
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/cgi-bin/ image.pl?showFileName=SCO_0369-SCO
_0372_Eilean_Donan_Castle_Pano.jpg&gallery=9

Besides the panoramic images Max Lyons simply takes great photographs and I
really don't care if they're digital or not.

A shame there's no digital SLR that eats Zuikos (or did I miss something
important).
Nonetheless I'll always keep my film camera(s).

'digital' regards
Jochen

An interesting site with nice images although I might question some of the math being an idiot myself. He notes Kodak's web site explanation that a 3072 x 2048 scan captures all the information on a 35mm slide, but anyone will tell you who has used one that a 4000dpi scanner captures more than a 2000dpi scanner. A drum scanner will get more. It might explain the poor quality of Kodak Photo CDs. Kodak kind of then contradicts itself by bringing out a 14 megapixel camera.

I also get very confused when people start talking about comparisons between scanners which I understand gives you dpi which can be any combination of RGB and photo CCD which are mapped and only R, G, or B which reduces the megapixel count to about a 1/3 of the stated.

I agree. His Scotland pictures are very nice.