[OM] OT - Awesome Digital Photography

Subject: [OM] OT - Awesome Digital Photography
From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:35:14 +0100
Hi,

to add some additional ammo to the 'film vs. digital' debate I recommend a
visit to the website of 'Max Lyons'.
For quite some time now I'm planning to buy an EOS 30 film camera and never
thought of digital. After I accidently found Max' website while looking for
Can*n lens reviews my decision for the EOS 30 lost some of it's power and I
wish I could afford an additional D 60 (or G3 to start with) ;-)

Dunno whether some of you already know his website http://www.tawbaware.com/
or http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/index.html for the galleries but it's
worth a deep dive.

This guy shoots exclusively digital and besides his 'normal' pictures he
creates breathtaking panoramic images by stitching and stacking multiple
high-resolution shots together (resulting in 6-40! megapixel images). When I
saw them for the first time I was (usually I hate to say this) blown away.

You may argue about the changes color and parallax error correction tools do
to the original images but for me the results matter and Max' results are
truely awesome. In fact the blended images (one set of images for the
highlights combinded with a set for optimised shadow detail) show more
detail due to a higher dynamic range and IMHO they look more like the human
eye would see the scene.

I was intrigued by his 'Digital Scotland" gallery and this is one of my
favourites (if the link is split in two or more lines, you may have to
copy/paste both parts to the address field of your browser):
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/cgi-bin/image.pl?showFileName=SCO_0369-SCO
_0372_Eilean_Donan_Castle_Pano.jpg&gallery=9

Besides the panoramic images Max Lyons simply takes great photographs and I
really don't care if they're digital or not.

A shame there's no digital SLR that eats Zuikos (or did I miss something
important).
Nonetheless I'll always keep my film camera(s).

'digital' regards
Jochen