[OM] Vivitar 400/5.6

Subject: [OM] Vivitar 400/5.6
From: Sean Davis <sfdavis@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:24:21 -0700
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Vivitar 400/5.6.  I've
got one that i've had for a few months now, and i have difficulty
getting sharp pictures with it - even 4x6's aren't very sharp - i can
tell that it would look really awful going larger.

I always use a tripod or bean bag and frequently use the timer so as
to avoid shake (shooting with a 2n so i have no mirror lock up).  I'm
wondering if perhaps higher shutter speeds might help (250 and above),
or if it's just not a very sharp lens.  In any case, it seems to me to
be woefully underperforming at the present.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean Davis

p.s.  anyone familiar with the Tamron SP 300/5.6?