Re: [OM] China suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] China suggestions
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:02:51 +0100
op 13-12-2002 05:29 schreef Andrew Dacey op frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Okay, I've kept this under wraps for long enough. Next April I will be
> travelling to China for 22 days. I'm travelling with a group so the
> itinerary is fixed. Here's the short version of what I'll be covering:
>
> I'm looking at taking:
>
> 2 bodies (either 2 OM-1Ns or a 1n and a 2s)
> 21/3.5
> 24/2.8
> 28/2.8
> 35/2
> 50/1.8 (need to get mine replaced before then, sticky aperture)
> 85/2 or Tamron 90/2.5 macro
> 135/3.5
>
>From my experience in bus travelling; a hood for your lens comes in very
handy... the closer you keep it to the window of the bus the less
reflections. If it is a rubber one, you could even press it to the window
(with a high shutter speed and if the roads are ok). A polarizer could be a
problem in the bus because some windows are polarized as well and will give
a kind of moiré patterns (obvious and visible in the viewfinder, so no real
problem, just annoying, and makes the polarizer unusable). When I went for a
tour on my own I always decided what to do before, am I in the city (narrow
streets, wide angle, avenues...?), fields, street shots... and mostly took
only one, sometimes two lenses. The advantage to me is that you know what
you'll see and loose less time by changing lenses and thinking. On foot you
can step closer or step back easily (very difficult in a bus, btw an 85f2
will just reach to the other side without seeing any window frame... and I
was very lucky the driver cleaned the windows every day!)

> Film:
>
> Mostly Provia 100 probably throw in some 400 and maybe some Velvia,
> especially if I take the pod. I'd like to try some of the Kodak E100VS or
> E100SW before I go and that might change my mind. May also throw in some
> B&W.

fast B&W can be very nice for night shots without flash.

Have a nice trip,

Iwert.