Re: [OM] Damned with faint praise?

Subject: Re: [OM] Damned with faint praise?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:56:21 -0500
At 20:14 12/11/02, Barry B. Bean wrote:

With a mighty effort, I fought off the first thing that came to mind (No, I mostly shoot crap, why do you ask?), and instead indicated that I did, and he asked to
see some of my work. I'll be taking him a small portfolio next week.

So - how do you respond when you've been insulted or damned with faint praise (Wow, your camera sure takes some nice pictures!)?

"Thank You for your time and attention."

If it's insulted or damned, ask if he was expecting something different . . . as in subject material, etc. If the answer is yes, then do a quick mental review of your archives and if you have something he might be interested in, then offer to return with that.

Better yet, ask before you pull together a portfolio if he is interested in anything in particular:
  project - photographs related to each other in some manner
  potpouri - variety of different types of subject material
  specific - specific subject matter or types, even if they aren't related

If he doesn't like your work for technical or artistic reasons, then gracefully bow out. You should be able to sniff out what the rejection is for, if it occurs, with the above question(s). However, think positively. I've seen some of your works. You *can* do this. Successful artists do three things very well: marketing themselves (includes mixing well with other artists, gallery directors and patrons), preparing their their works for "gallery presentation," and the content of the artwork itself (what's inside the frame).

I'm presuming you already understand "gallery presentation" requirements and probably the quantity he would be interested in. I did a rather small exhibit of about fifteen works; Kodochromes/Ektachromes on Ilfochrome. It was expensive and time consuming to prepare, but still very worthwhile. Learned a lot about the marketing and presentation end of things. Also got my foot in the door for a possible B&W project next year.

-- John