Re: [OM] OT: New e-mail address

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: New e-mail address
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 20:01:05 -0700
At 06:15 PM 09/12/2002 -0800, Richard F. Man wrote:

[snip]

3 summers ago, after apying for Pacbell DSL for over 2 years, we were in Orlando for the Junior Olympics and the conversations went on something like this:
***
Us: "We've checked all possibilities, and it's definitely not a phone line or ISP problem. You seem to have somehow cut off our DSL service."

PB: "I'm sorry, our computer shows there is no record of you having DSL service."

Us: "But we can fax you 2 years of bills to prove we have DSL service!!! Please, can't you find someone who can help us restore it?"

PB: "Sorry, I can't help you. <click>")
****

Astonishing. I used to man a service desk on a pinch-hitter basis back in the Elder Days when the glories of the Internet were just being introduced to the masses. Man, we'd do *anything* to help a customer. 'Course, back then, it was all "true believers" -- we really wanted people to get on the Internet, and we really wanted it to be a good (even life-changing) experience for them.

Apparently, PacBell never went through that phase.  That's a shame.

Garth