RE: [OM] OM vs. Leica; digital photos

Subject: RE: [OM] OM vs. Leica; digital photos
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:30:00 -0700
I know a couple that have each won numerous high-level photo competitions.
They use basic 35mm cameras and lenses around 50mm. I don't know exactly why
their images win, and I'm not sure that they do either. They have the
ability to envision and capture images that appeal to the judges (who are
kind of like people) even when they don't know them. Photography is an art
form and the equipment is only part of the total picture. I hope to
understand it better some day. The instant feedback of Digital and Polaroid
imaging can be useful as a teaching tool.

Snip>>>

You know that old joke about cars... the most-dangerous part is "the nut
holding the wheel." You can draw a parallel with cameras -- the "quality" of
the picture is far more dependent on the photographer than it is on the
equipment.

I belong to several clubs and take lots of pictures, both 35mm (IS-30) and
Polaroid (SLR 680). People _love_ my pictures (which are rarely more than
snapshots) because they don't know how to take good pictures. I sometimes
see other members' photos, and as a rule, they're just plain awful. (If you
don't own an SLR 680, _get one NOW_. It's the best way to learn how to
(photographically) interact with people.)

big snip>>>